- 1997: Ph.D. at the Department of Archaeology, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- 1988: M.A. at the Department of Archaeology, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
B. Offices in the University
- 2005 – 2008: Chair, Department of Archaeology.
- 2006 – 2009: Member of the Senate.
C. Scholarly Activities outside the University
- Since 1988: Committee member, the Israel Prehistoric Society.
- 1991 – 1993: Chairman of the Israel Prehistoric Society.
- Since 2013: Chief Editor of the Journal of the Israel Prehistoric Society.
D. Fields of research
- Prehistoric cultures.
- The origins of agriculture.
- Prehistoric burial customs.
- Prehistoric technologies.
- Mundane and spiritual in Natufian life.
- Bedrock features (mortars, cupmarks, etc.) in ancient sites in the Near East and North America.
- Ancient game traps.
E. Major excavations and surveys
- Ohalo II.
- Tel Roim West.
- Raqefet cave.
- Kites in the Negev.
- Kites in Armenia.
- Sea of Galilee survey.
- Biqat Uvda survey.
- Carmel survey.
- Neve David.
Selected Publications (by order of publication)
- Rosenberg D. and D. Nadel 2014. The sounds of pounding: Boulder mortars and their significance to Natufian burial customs. Current Anthropology 55(6):784–812 (with comments and reply).
- Snir A., D. Nadel and U. Weiss 2015. Economic diversity and space use between occupations of Upper-Palaeolithic Ohalo II: A multi-layer spatial analysis of plant remains. Journal of Archaeological Science 53:61–71.
- Nadel D., S. Filin, D. Rosenberg and V. Miller 2015. Prehistoric bedrock features: recent advances in 3D characterization and geometrical analyses. Journal of Archaeological Science 53: 331–344.
- Arav R., S. Filin, U. Avner, G. Bar-Oz, A. Nachmias and D. Nadel 2014. The use of LiDAR scanner for high-resolution documentation and 3D modeling of "Desert Kites". Near Eastern Archaeology 77(3):219–222.
- Miller V., S. Filin, D. Rosenberg and D. Nadel 2014. 3D Characterization of bedrock features: A Natufian case study. Near Eastern Archaeology 77(3):214–218.
- Nativ A., D. Rosenberg and D. Nadel 2014. The southern tip of the northern Levant? The pottery assemblage of Tel Ro’im West. Paléorient 40(1):99–115.
- Power R.C., A.M. Rosen and D. Nadel 2014. The economic and ritual utilization of plants at the Raqefet Cave Natufian site: the evidence from phytoliths. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 33:49–65.
- Nadel D., A. Danin, R.C. Power, A.M. Rosen, F. Bocquentin, A. Tsatskin, D. Rosenberg, R. Yeshurun, L. Weissbrod, N. Rebollo, O. Barzilai and E. Boaretto 2013. Earliest flower grave-lining from 13,700-year-old Natufian burials at Raqefet Cave, Mt. Carmel, Israel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110(29):11774–11778.
- Yaroshevich A., D. Nadel and A. Tsatskin 2013. Composite projectiles and hafting technologies at Ohalo II (23 ka, Israel): analyses of impact fractures, morphometric characteristics and adhesive remains on microlithic tools. Journal of Archaeological Science 40(11):4009–4023.
- Bar-Oz G. and D. Nadel 2013. Worldwide large-scale trapping and hunting of ungulates in past societies. Quaternary International 297:1–7.
- Nadel D., G. Bar-Oz, U. Avner, D. Malkinson and E. Boaretto 2013. Ramparts and walls: building techniques of kites in the Negev highland. Quaternary International 297:147–154.
- Yeshurun R., G. Bar-Oz and D. Nadel 2013. The social role of food in the Natufian cemetery of Raqefet Cave, Mount Carmel, Israel. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 32:511–526.
- Nadel D., D.R. Piperno, I. Holst, A. Snir and E. Weiss 2012. Further evidence of processing wild cereal grains at Ohalo II, a 23,000 year-old campsite on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, Israel. Antiquity 86:990–1003.
- Weiss E., M.E. Kislev, O. Simchoni, D. Nadel and H. Tschauner 2008. Plant-food preparation area on an Upper Paleolithic brush hut floor at Ohalo II, Israel. Journal of Archaeological Science 35:2400–2414.
- Nadel D., G. Bar-Oz, U. Avner, E. Boaretto and D. Malkinson 2010. Walls, ramps and pits: The construction and landscape modification of the Samar desert kites, Southern Negev, Israel. Antiquity 84(326):976–992.
- Nadel D., U. Grinburg, E. Boaretto and E. Werker 2006. Wooden objects from Ohalo II (23,000 cal BP), Jordan Valley, Israel. Journal of Human Evolution 50(6):644–662.
- Nadel D., E. Weiss, O. Simchoni, A. Tsatskin, A. Danin and M.E. Kislev 2004. Stone Age hut in Israel yields world’s oldest evidence of bedding. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 101 (17):6821–6826.
- Piperno D.R., E. Weiss, I. Holst and D. Nadel 2004. Processing of wild cereal grains in the Upper Palaeolithic revealed by starch grain analysis. Nature 430:670–673.
- Weiss E., W. Wetterstrom, D. Nadel and O. Bar-Yosef 2004. The broad spectrum revisited: evidence from plant remains. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 101 (26):9551–9555.
- Nadel D. and E. Werker 1999. The oldest ever brush hut plant remains from Ohalo II, Jordan Valley, Israel (19 BP). Antiquity 73 (282):755–764.
- Nadel D., A. Danin, E. Werker, T. Schick, M.E. Kislev and K. Stewart. 1994. 19,000 years-old twisted fibers from Ohalo II. Current Anthropology 35(4):451–458.
for a full list of publications